Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

I Laughed, Cried and Gasped, All Within the First Chapter of "Jinxed, Laughing in the Face of Alzheimer's" by Marlene Jaxon

This week AlzAuthors.com welcomes Marlene Jaxon, author of Jinxed, Laughing in the Face of Alzheimer's

Marlene shares:
The book’s title was obvious to me right from day one: Jinxed! Laughing in the Face of Alzheimer’s. My mother (whose lifelong nickname was Jinx) and I had laughed together more in the years I spent as her caregiver than during any other time in my adult memory. She got the biggest kick out of the comical voices I used to soothe her fears and prompt her cooperation; my silliness incited her own. Wacky dancing and singing usually ensued. And the family trip we took to Disneyland in her final years – although not memorable to her – was a laugh-filled adventure we’ll never forget. The logistical difficulties of traveling with a dementia patient were by far outweighed by the delight Mom displayed as she enjoyed the wonders of “The Happiest Place on Earth” wearing her pink, princess Minnie Mouse ears. I had a suspicion such lovely caregiver experiences were uncommon, so I enthusiastically committed my energy to writing our story – with no idea what awaited me.

Please read the entire post here.

No comments: