Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Dawn Gardner Writes About Finding Peace in a Tumultuous Mother Daughter Relationship in Her New Novel, The Jade Butterfly

I found this book recently in the top 100 in Amazon within the category of Alzheimer's. In reaching out to the author, Dawn Gardner, she agreed to write a post for AlzAuthors about her new novelThe Jade Butterfly.


 

Dawn shares: 
There are so many levels to caregiving. I think a lot of people will identify with Ellen in the novel. Ellen doesn’t believe she knows how to be a caregiver. And she certainly doesn’t think that she will be good at it. Caregiving is just two words: care and giving. Ellen learns her own way to care for her mother, discovers the life her mother lived before the disease and finds herself, after years of unhappiness.

Please read the entire post here.
 

No comments: