Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Robin Thomson Writes About Caregiving for His Wife in His New Memoir, Living With Alzheimer's: A Love Story,

 I was drawn to Living With Alzheimer's:  A Love Story by its beautiful cover. Robin Thompson, the author, agreed to write a featured post for AlzAuthors. This book is well worth the read if you are a spouse caregiver. 


 

Robin shares: 

I wanted to tell our story as openly and honestly as possible, hoping that it could be helpful to other caregivers, families and friends, sharing the same pain and pressure, as well as the hope and resources. It’s difficult to convey the sense of bewilderment and sometimes hopelessness that you feel when caring for a person living with Alzheimer's, without appearing negative or self-pitying. But on the other side, the most remarkable thing for me was my experience of Shoko’s love and affection, even when her understanding was becoming more and more confused.

Please read the entire post here.

No comments: