Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Read Granny Needs My Help, by Deborah Mills, to Assist Children Struggling to Understand Alzheimer’s

Granny Needs My Help by Deborah L. Mills is a beautiful, touching book for children. I feel so lucky to have connected with this author through AlzAuthors.com.

Please read this book with a child who is wondering about changes in a grandparent. This is such a gentle and positive explanation of the Alzheimer's process.


Deborah writes:

Dementia and Alzheimer’s are not easy subjects to talk about because of the stigma and embarrassment society tries to attach to them. It makes this book that much more of a must read. Let this book spark conversation. Through fun full-color illustrations and a heartfelt child friendly story Granny Needs My Help: A Child’s Look at Dementia and Alzheimer’s helps bridge the gap between child and adult.
 

Read the entire post on AlzAuthors now!


No comments: