Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Fluff-flies


Butterflies or fluff-flies as my youngest grandchildren call them have taken on special meaning for me since my parents’ passing.

My mom and dad were believers that faith was mirrored in all of nature, so when my parents neared the hospice stage at the end of their lives I envisioned them transforming, withdrawing into the shell of their cocoon. I knew their spirits were fighting their way out of that old shell to fly away to life eternal.

You could say I have a penchant for butterflies. I’ve collected butterfly pins, earrings, necklaces for family and friends, and when I see people wearing a butterfly I always compliment the unique design.

Recently I found the tiny earrings pictured above. I’ve worn them non-stop for weeks. Every time my little grandchildren see them, they touch them and say, “Fluff-flies.” When I catch a glimpse in the mirror, I think of Mom and Dad, the two butterflies that flutter in and out of my life.


I’m reminded of this gospel hymn by Alfred E. Brumley

Some glad morning when this life is o'er, I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore, I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have gone, I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown, I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then, I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end, I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away;
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.


May you feel the soft touch of butterfly wings in your own life.

No comments: