Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Two Wonderful Books about Alzheimer's

This week I finished reading two wonderful books about Alzheimer's. 

Mary Cail wrote Alzheimer's: A Crash Course For Friends and Relatives (The All Weather Friend)

Here is my review on Amazon.

After experiencing the tragic loss of her husband, Mary Cail is drawn to work with those living with dementia and Alzheimer's. Her book is profound and almost poetic, as she describes what other writers of non-fiction about the disease write in dry bulleted lists. She touches the heart of the reader as she explains how left out the person with dementia feels, like a repeat of being the last to be chosen in gym class. In reference to the caregiver she says, "Staying upbeat is like trying to swim wearing a pair of mud boots." Thank you Mary Cail for writing such a lovely book creating understanding from all sides of the disease.


I also read a book for children, The Forgetful Elephant, by Irene MacKay. Amazon review copied below.

I highly recommend this book for any young child who has a grandparent with dementia or Alzheimer's Thank you, Irene Mackay for writing such a sensitive book. Beautifully illustrated.


Five stars to each!

No comments: