Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Meet Rev. Dr. Cynthia Huling Hummel, author of "Unmasking Alzheimer's: The Memories Behind the Masks"


Reposted with permission from AlzAuthors.com



By Rev. Dr. Cynthia Huling Hummel

In the summer of 2017, I participated in a special program called “Art Reflects” for people with Alzheimer’s disease and care partners. The program was hosted at the Community Arts of Elmira (Elmira, NY.) One of our classes was about mask making and I was especially excited and intrigued to create a mask that would reflect what it meant for me to live with Alzheimer’s disease. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I couldn’t make just one mask—because there were so many dimensions to living with the disease. Before I knew it, I was up to 30 masks.

At the urging of friends, I photographed my masks and wrote about each one to create the book UnMasking Alzheimer’s: The Memories Behind the Masks.

To unmask is to reveal, to uncover or to bring to light.
  • It is my hope that the photos of my masks, along with the stories that I wrote, will “unmask Alzheimer’s” and bring to light one person’s perspectives of living with AD.
  • It is my hope that my book will create an opportunities for those living with the disease, those caring for them, friends, relatives and the medical community to dialogue about how Alzheimer’s feels, how it changes us and challenges all of us.
  • I also hope that this book will nudge people who have memory concerns to make an appointment to see their primary health care provider to talk about what is going on and together come up with a plan on what to do next.
  • I hope that those who are living with the disease will feel less stigmatized.
  • I hope that those of us who are living with the disease will be less feared and more included in the decisions that affect us and our daily lives.

Early diagnosis is the key to living well with dementia. Finding a cure to Alzheimer’s is my hope and my prayer.

I have received wonderful feedback on my book. International Dementia Advocate, Brian LeBlanc wrote: “BRILLANT!!! Cynthia has taken her emotions, struggles, her loves, her truths, her passions and puts them on display for the world to see, all in the form of masks. What better way to show what goes in inside the brain of someone living with Alzheimer’s! Bravo, Cynthia Bravo!


About Me: 

The Rev. Dr. Cynthia Huling Hummel, is a fierce Alzheimer’s  advocate and a voice for those living with the disease. Diagnosed with amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment in 2011 and with AD in 2016. 
  • Cynthia serves as a National Early-Stage Advisor for the Alzheimer’s Association and speaks locally, and nationally about living with Alzheimer’s disease.
  • In 2017, she was appointed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services to the National Council on Alzheimer’s Research, Care and Services.
  • She has participated in two National Research Summits.
  • As a member of the Faith United Against Alzheimer’s Coalition, a national network of clergy, laity, and faith organizations, she has written several chapters for an upcoming book on serving the spiritual and worship needs of persons with dementia.
  • Cynthia is passionate about Alzheimer’s research and has been a participant in the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuro-Imaging Initiative study since 2010.
  • Cynthia loves to sing in the band, “Country Magic” and was inducted into the NY State Country Music Hall of Honor in 2016.
  • She enrolled at Elmira College in 2011 and is taking her 37thclass.
  • Cynthia enjoys kayaking, swimming and golf and loves to travel.
  • Cynthia substitute preaches in and around the Finger Lakes. Most of all, she loves being a grandma to Cate and Henry.

Contact Rev. Dr. Cynthia Huling Hummel at revdrchh@gmail.com

Follow Dr. Hummel on Facebookand LinkedIn.

No comments: