Alzheimer's Daughter

The Story

Alzheimer’s Daughter introduces the reader to my healthy parents, Ed and Ibby, years before their diagnosis, then recounts painful details as our roles reversed and I became my parents’ parent.


Their disease started as translucent, confused thoughts and ended in a locked memory care unit after a near decade of descent into the opaque world of Alzheimer's.

I began writing Alzheimer’s Daughter one week after my mother's death––when I was stunned, realizing Dad had no memory of her or their 66-year marriage.

I write to pay tribute to the undying spirit at Ed and Ibby's core, and with the hope that the story of their parallel decline might be helpful to others.

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Meet Laurette Klier, author of Nana’s Books; Sit With Me At Sundown, and Other Nostalgic Picture and Literature Books for Seniors










A few months ago I had the pleasure of meeting Laurette Klier and discovering her wonderful book series called Nana’s Books. One example is Sit With Me At Sundown, Nostalgic Poetry for the Young at Heart. The series includes over a dozen other nostalgic picture and literature books for seniors. These books would be an excellent addition to any senior living community, adult day care setting, and any home in which an elder is being cared for.


Laurette states:

Confounded by the lack of quality reading materials at my mother-in-law’s long-term care facility, I scoured the internet for something stimulating and enjoyable to share with her on visits. It had become increasingly difficult to engage ‘Nana’ who was living with Lewy Body dementia.

A lifelong reader of the Boston Globe and an avid bridge player, word searches and coloring books fell flat with Nana.

Determined to find something to bring in a little joy, and to spark a conversation, I decided to try my hand at creating books of my own...I completed Sit with Me at Sundown, Nostalgic Poetry for the Young at Heart (Life’s Journeys) in a few weeks and was thrilled with the book. So was Nana and the people who lived in her memory care unit.



Read Laurette's featured post on AlzAuthors by clicking the link below: 

https://alzauthors.com/2021/11/09/alzauthors-com-2021-11-10-laurette-klier/


No comments: